My cheerleaders, my therapists...

camp4

Last weekend was a girls camping trip, 5 moms and one sister. We left the real world behind and exhaled deeply.

This trip was much more than escaping the responsibilities of being mom, maid, chauffeur, cook, and referee though. I conquered fears and overcame things that I never thought I would. Thanks to my wonderful friends and their gentle encouragement. Don't get me wrong there was quite a bit of teasing involved but I can laugh at myself so it's okay.

Everyone knows I am a city girl, through and through. I love three story shopping malls, tall buildings, crowded streets, the sound of traffic. It's who I am and no amount of convincing or telling me all the great things about the country will change that. Thankful the friends I have made here don't try to change me or convince me, they make me go camping where there are working toilets, warm showers and beautiful views. Okay so maybe it was more "glamping". But it was still something I didn't think I would enjoy, now I want to do it again and again.
camp5
So I survived a night of "glamping" and we were on our way to the lake to spend the day out on a boat. A freaking boat! A boat out in the middle of a body of water where not only can you not touch the bottom, you can't see it. My two biggest fears combined, then add my extreme sensitivity to motion and I almost didn't go. I did come up with excuse after excuse not to go but Mr. Fun was not going to have it. I'm surprised he didn't pack my bags and prepare the food for me.
So there I was on the dock, some Bonine(a drug I had never taken but trusted my friend when she told me it wouldn't make me sleepy) digesting, me praying it works while slightly freaking out. I was feeling a little woozy and started to feel the anxiety creeping through my body. I distracted myself with applying sunscreen and focusing on the trees far away from the water. The boat was loaded and we were ready to push off so I stepped onto the boat, everyone watching. I am pretty sure they expected some sort of freak out, I was on the inside. I wasn't going to let my issues ruin this weekend though, I pushed through, reminding myself to breathe. By the time we were out in open water I felt great, I then asked for a drink.
open water

Everyone kept asking me how I was doing and I answered honestly, I was doing great. I was surprised but so thankful. I thought I would feel anxious the whole day. That wasn't the case, I was relaxed, enjoying the cool breeze and company. Then we stopped and everyone jumped in, I did not. I wasn't sure I could, I started to feel the anxiety again and I really didn't think I was going to be able to do it. My cheerleaders knew I could do it, they coaxed, they promised, they encouraged me. Finally with a little help from a little green noodle, I climbed off the boat. One step at a time I pushed the anxiety and fear out of my body. Nobody rushed me, they waited patiently, and the further my body was emerged in the cool water the more confidence I gained. There I was in the water, hand still on the boat, not sure I could let go but I was in the water.
camp7
There I was in middle of a lake, no bottom to touch, no shoreline near me. I was happy with that but my friends had bigger goals. They knew I could do it when I thought there was no way I was letting go.
camp8
I did it...I let go, I swam in middle of a lake. It was so freeing. I couldn't have done any of it without the help of these ladies. They didn't judge, they didn't use the phrase "get over it" or "you're being silly". They just encouraged me and gently pushed me slowly!!

I did it!! I did it!! I did it!! Great friends are priceless. If you have something that scares you, call your friends to help you. They will help you dig a little deeper, be a little stronger. You won't regret conquering a fear, it's never too late. It was so freeing and so awesome. I can't put my excitement into words. I feel like a better version of me and it's all due to my wonderful friends and husband.

Comments

Mel said…
I love you!! and so proud of you.. and can't wait to do it all over again!!
Liz Smith said…
It looked like you had fun!! Yay
AiringMyLaundry said…
That sounds and looks like a lot of fun!
Angela King said…
Yay! I'm so happy for you. Sounds like a blast.