Another struggle...

Baseball season is upon us. This year there isn't as much as excitement for two of my boys as previous years. T gets dad as a coach so he's super excited. He also has a team filled with friends, so he's going to have a great season.
The two other boys, different story, completely. Dub decided he didn't want to play, didn't even make it to try outs. I didn't push too hard knowing his reason for not wanting to play. First reason, playing baseball in cold, windy, rainy weather really does suck. It makes it hard to enjoy yourself when your fingers hurt because they are frozen. Second reason, he knew which coach would pick him, his coach from last year. Dub is not a fan of his coach, and I can't blame him. Mr. Fun and I aren't fans of the way he coaches either. He yells at the kids telling them what they did wrong but doesn't get out there to show them how to correct it. That's not coaching, that's observing.
Now onto to G, well guess who is his coach? Yep, Dub's coach from last year. G had been up sick all night the night before try outs, it was every 20 minutes from 1am to 8am. He slept the day away and woke at 1:30pm and made it to the 2pm try outs. He said he didn't do much because he was still feeling weak. He had a feeling that coach was going to pick him, there are only two teams in this league. He told me he wasn't going to play if that was his coach and I don't blame him. We've had coaches we haven't loved, some we have learned to tolerate. This coach seems to be one none of us can tolerate another season. G's on a fire call as I type this so he doesn't know yet. I know he's going to be so disappointed and I am not sure how to handle it. Do I force him to play for a coach none of us care for or do I let him make his own decision to not play this season, he is 16.

I will say this, it's just another reason I don't like small town living. There aren't many choices when it comes to baseball, you get to play ball for 2 months a year where you play the same teams over and over and over. There's one league, there isn't fall ball, or even a high school baseball team. This was the first year I was going to have two boys on one team and I was really looking forward to it. Now those two boys won't even be playing. I'm not sure how I feel, I feel disappointed, mad, frustrated, sad, and helpless. Knowing how much my boys have always loved playing ball, now they won't be playing, for reasons I can relate to and understand.

Still.... I will be missing watching these two play.
G baseball-3
baseball dub2

But as they say...
There's no crying in baseball

Comments

kate94651 said…
I feel for you. A bad coach ruined it for Sam several years ago. Now he won't even WATCH baseball. It makes me sad...and occasionally mad (again).