Another summer is coming to a close.

I have always dreaded school starting up again. I love our lazy days, sleeping in, eating whenever, grilling more than cooking. What is not to love about summer? No bedtime, no schedule, no homework, day drinking, fire pits, outdoor concerts.....I'm going to miss summer.
Summers are not what they used to be. They were once full of street ball, trips to the beach, late night drinks, walks to to QT for big pickles and slurpees. I remember the dirty feet, tricycle races, water balloon fights, and long naps. Summers soon became about conquering fears of swimming without water wings, and learning to touch the bottom of the deep end of the pool followed with celebration popsicles. I remember summers being all about evening walks to the park, flip flop swing races, and taking drives to nowhere.

Summers since moving away from Phoenix haven't been the same. There are no trips to the beach, no walks to the park, drives to nowhere never happen. Street ball doesn't exist, there are no QT slurpees, nor popsicles. As I write this I realize our summers now are pretty darn boring. There are motorcycle rides and late night drinks but everything else is non existent. The kids fly to California by themselves, dirty feet have been replaced with stinky socks. Tricycle races...who owns a tricycle anymore? We seem to be the only family here that loves baseball so no street ball.

Even with all the changes I still don't want summer to come to an end. It means early mornings, dinner at 4:30 PM because it's already dark, making lunches, and homework..... all of those things make my eye twitch and curse words just slip out of my mouth. I am not a morning person, nor am I the cooking type. It means cooler weather, this I once looked forward to; now I dread it. Summer ending now means so much more than school starting, it means no more flip flops, no more tank tops and skirts. Now summer ending brings on stupid jackets and suffocating sweaters. Soon to be followed by ridiculous snow boots, choking scarfs, bulky coats, and stupid stupid stupid gloves. Everything I hate is wrapped up in colder weather, so I'm hoping summer lingers.

I am going to hang on to these next few weeks like a kid with one of those huge round lollipops, until the very last bit is gone. I am going to embrace the 9PM sunsets and the last days where I care what my toes look like. I am going to try really hard to ease the kids back into an early bedtime, I am going to force myself out of bed before 9am. I am going to slowly pack away all my favorite clothes and pull out all those heavy, bulky, stupid clothes. I will not wear socks in the house, never, I refuse. I will meal plan, buy flannel sheets, get out the pumpkin candles, color organize the calendar so I know Tuesday from Friday. I will not yell at my kids to hurry up nor will I send them back to their rooms to change their close (yes I will). I am going to embrace the change in season and throw all stuffed animals, old clothes and toys away organize the house.

Goodbye Summer....
goodbye summer
Thank you for all the great memories you bring. Thanks for the warm sunshine and the long lazy days.
goodbye summer3


Hello Fall
goodbye summer2

Comments