Why We Ride

I ran across a Facebook page called "Why We Ride". I read some comments on a photo asking drivers to look for motorcycles that really pissed me off. I understand that there are asshole motorcyclist out there but that doesn't mean us who ride respectfully and responsibly don't deserve a second or third glance in your mirror and over your shoulder to make sure there isn't a motorcycle there.
I understand the frustration with those on motorcycles that drive like asshats, I do. I also drive a large vehicle and I have been caught off guard by a fast and reckless motorcyclist. This doesn't mean I didn't do everything I could not to hit them. I don't know about you but even if someone is driving recklessly I don't want the image of hitting that person and possibly killing them in my head for the rest of my life. They are someone's loved one, no matter how stupid they are being... I don't want that guilt on my shoulders. It's really hard for me to think that someone would rather teach that person a lesson and not do everything they could to prevent an accident that could kill a person.
One comment said that you shouldn't be one sided and motorcyclist should watch out for cars. Well no freaking duh you moron. We do watch out for cars, we ride defensivley and if we happen to hit a car the person driving said car surrounded my steel and airbags isn't going to be the one getting hurt. It's going to be the person on the motorcycle.
Sunday afternoon ride.Shadow
So please don't look twice for those on motorcycles, look three times. I know the blind spot in your mirror seems small but so is a motorcycle. There is an expression us that ride use.... Loud pipes save lives.....if you hear a motorcycle, look for the motorcycle, be aware of it. Just as if you are driving a residential street and you hear kids, you are aware, you look more closely to the side of the street for children. Us on a motorcycle are just as vulnerable as those kids.
Don't be a dick and think that it's only a motorcyclist's responiblity to stay safe on the roads. If we have to swerve to keep a vehicle from missing us means more than if we were also on four wheels. If you don't see a motorcycle and he has to lay his bike down to keep from getting hit, it will bring more damage to them than it would have to you and your vehicle if he let you hit him.
Ride.
It's not about who's right or wrong, it's about safety. It's about being safe on the rode, whether you drive a jacked up truck, a sedan, a convertible, or a motorcycle. Us on motorcycles are not surrounded by anything to protect us, no airbags, no steel frame. So look for motorcycles, please. Put your phones down, use your mirrors, look over your shoulder and be aware of your surroundings. It could save a life.
Jan 3-10

Comments

Unknown said…
Need a new pic of the bike