Boots, wear boots.

It was a Saturday evening, friends were over. Local cop was in the alley talking with the men. The fire had been started, kids were running in and out the yard. Us women were sitting facing the fire sipping on adult beverages, all thinking how nice it was to just sit and relax.
G decided he was going to split wood for the fire. He was chopping away with his little brother's ax he had just received for his birthday. I have watched him split wood so many times I never thought that what was about to happen would.
I heard an "ouch" that didn't call for me to jump. I looked at him as he flipped his shoe off and his sock had a lot of blood on the top of it, a lot of blood for the seconds that had passed since he said ouch. I jumped up and screamed for Mr. Fun, his response was not as urgent as I wanted it to be so I screamed "YOUR SON JUST PUT AN AX THROUGH HIS FOOT". I am not one to panic, this time I did. I ran to the bathroom to get something to stop the bleeding. Luckily my friends were here and they ran to a closer option, the kitchen and grabbed a towel. By the time I got back outside Mr. Fun had his foot wrapped in the towel and was applying pressure. He looked up at me and said he was fine but the look in his eyes said he was worried. I looked at G and he was white, shivering and looked as if he might pass out. Again, smart friends with clearer heads directed me to get him something to drink and a blanket to keep him from going into shock while we waited for the paramedics.
His foot was wrapped and we elevated it for about an hour. Once G wasn't shaking and the color came back into his face it was time to reevaluate the wound. We soaked it with saline and let it rest before deciding to butterfly it and wrap it. It took three people, two butterfly strips and lots of encouragement for G to stay strong and breathe through it.
Sunday afternoon we unwrapped it and to our surprise there was no bruising and only little swelling. It hurt him to move his big toe which had us a little concerned about tendon damage but the wound looked better than expected. Fast forward to Monday afternoon and it no longer hurts to move his big toe. Hoping all these signs mean not taking him to the ER wasn't a mistake and by keeping him off of it it will heal quickly.
He did ask me if I took a picture of his foot before the paramedics wrapped it up the first time. I didn't, I know I take photos of everything but not when I'm scared my child seriously injured himself. He was rather disappointed that he doesn't have a bloody picture to share....boys.

So if G does split wood again, he will be wearing boots, not tennis shoes. But for now Mr. Fun will be the only one splitting wood.
FD4-8485

Comments