A Summer Unplugged

CU
This summer is a whole new world for my kids. They rarely play video games, they are constantly outside. I see them less now then when school is in. They are in and out, riding bikes, going down to main street, playing at the park.
I was talking with the girl and I realized these kids are living the summers I lived at their age. They are on the go with friends all day. They are here for a few, then they are gone again. I love knowing they are experiencing life, spending time with friends, not in front of the TV all day, every day. I really didn't mind it when we lived where is was 100+ degrees. We'd swim early and then spend the day inside. Once the sun started to go down we'd either go out to swim again or play street ball. It was just a different way of life, not in a bad way either, just different. Back then, it was just us, no friends coming in and out, I used to cringe when my kids would ask for friends to come over. Now I'm not even sure they ask every time, extra kids just show up.
CU7
CU13
It doesn't bother me either, which is a huge step for me. I love having all these kids around. They keep me busy and laughing.
CU6
We all do!
CU5
Even when they don't have friends over they seem to stay unplugged and sit outside with us. I love it. As they grow it seems we are usually running in different directions. So to see them willingly spending time together is really awesome. Makes me think I may not be failing at this parenting thing.
CU10
Willing to learn and experience real life!
CU9
CU8
And who needs an XBOX when you have a real box?
CU15CU14
CU17
CU16

Hoping this summer remains one that is mostly unplugged. Suspending DirecTV for the summer was our first big step.
CU3
And that they would rather be outside soaking up the sun, planting flowers and listening to music over sitting inside on the computer or watching TV.
CU2

Comments