The Dugout..

dugout2dugout
I have a pet peeve...It's known as the dugout. It's a place to show sportsmanship, be respectful and cheer your teammates on. It is not a place to be rude, loud and rowdy. I understand kids are kids , I know it can be hard to just sit and watch your teammates bat. I also know that it's not hard to follow rules when given them. So who do I blame for rowdy, disrespectful behavior in the dugout, the coaches.
My boys have played for many coaches throughout their childhood, between the three of them I've lost count. There have been dugouts that were so bad I spoke up, stood at the entrance to keep the kids in check. There have been dugouts that I dreaded every game because the kids were so disrespectful to each other and their coach. Coach is to blame, for not giving set rules and consequences. We have played for some coaches that made and stuck by the rules, those were the coaches I loved. The kids were respectful, they left the dugout as they found it, clear of trash. They either sat on the bench talking quietly or stood against the fence cheering their teammate, that was up to bat, on. There was no dumping someone's seeds, there was no stealing of hats, there was no "i'm better than you" talk....Those are the dugouts I long for again. I remember Mr. Fun telling his team that the bench would be their only position if they could't follow the rules.
These last few games have been a little painful for me to sit through, all because of the disrespect I would witness in the dugout that nobody else would address. I don't know the kids that my kids play with, not yet anyways, so I don't feel comfortable correcting their behavior. This is when I blame the parents. If my kid acts out in the dugout, I correct him, remind him of how he's supposed to behave. I haven't witnessed one parent speak up when their kid is out of line. I have bitten my tongue so many times I'm surprised it's still intact.
We must teach these kids, from the beginning, to be respectful, compassionate and encouraging. Not just in the dugout but in life. Not saying they shouldn't have fun in the dugout....fun should be had.
Silly
But not at the expense of your teammates.

Comments

*Jess* said…
you guys need a good dugout mom! Ours keeps our guys in perfect check, reminds them of batting order, helps change the catcher's gear, etc. So the coaches can concentrate on the game.