Don't be fine just because I'm fine...

I don't know how to start this post... I'm not sure how to execute it so it makes sense. So just go with it, if it doesn't flow, read it again.
When I was in 8th grade we had this living room furniture that was hideous. One day I spoke up and asked why. My step dad said that he bought it because he thought my mom loved it. My mom admitted that she only said she loved it because she thought he loved it. Turns out they both hated it. I think this was my first lesson in telling it like it is. This was the first time I realized that if you don't speak your mind you may have to live with ugly furniture. Or so to speak.
This story came up when I asked Mr. Fun if he was fine, he answered with I'm fine if you're fine. I didn't like this answer. I realize wanting you're loved ones to be happy is important but that shouldn't determine your happiness. So the question in my head is, is he really happy or is he just saying he is because I am?
You know me, I didn't hold back and I asked him straight up if the only reason he was fine is because I was fine. Of course that is not the reason he is fine, thankfully. I also have to say just because Mr. Fun is happy here isn't the reason I am almost happy here. There is so much more to it than that. It's not that his happiness isn't important to me, it's extremely important. But I'm not going to lie to make him happy. Especially not about furniture.
If you don't like something, if you are uncomfortable with a situation, speak up... because who wants to live with ugly furniture for years?
If you aren't happy those you love and love you back deserve to know, right? I believe Mr. Fun and I will be happy no matter where we call home. It may not be what we had planned but it sure has been a fun adventure that continues .
us....

Comments