7:30 AM and Beyond

I don't have a clock in my room. Haven't in years. How my smart phone has changed my life. It's my connection to the outside world along with my alarm clock. Lately it's been failing me, it hasn't been going off. I finally figured it out today, it's not set to go off every weekday like my earlier alarm, it's a one time deal. So this morning no alarm, just some foggy sun waking me. I look at my phone, 7:30 on the dot, the time my alarm should be going off. Put my phone back under my pillow, is it healthy to sleep with your phone under your pillow, probably not. I decide to close my eyes and cuddle with Mr. Fun for just a minute. 7:48 I hear the girl turn on a light, then I hear.. "mom, it's 7:48".
Pull the covers over my head and say no, I don't want to get up...realizing it's not a choice, I throw my warm covers off of me, pull on my sweatshirt, it's easier than dealing with that evil contraption they call a bra. Open G's door first to let dog out, turn his light on. Open back door and thank goodness that dog is quick because it's cold out there. After closing fogged up back door I move to the little boys' room, open door, turn light on. Stand there for a second to make sure they are moving and mention it's late so hurry.
Standing in the kitchen, looking around, watching the girl make her breakfast, wondering where to start. Decide, breakfast for boys, cereal bowls and cereal placed on table. I say that like it's not cereal every morning. Dub comes out asking to take a shower, knowing if I say no it'll make this morning 10 times more difficult, I tell him a quick one. I tell him 5 minutes, tops. G gets the milk and himself a spoon, T had already gotten three spoons out. So there is the whining from T over a spoon, really? Then he sees the healthy cereal in front of him, more whining, oh the horror of healthy cereal. G standing there in his beanie that makes him look older than he is, silent, staring at me. It's like he's willing me with his eyes to please make his little brother stop whining. It's too early for so much whining.
I move onto lunches, only having one lunch box in front me, I sigh, I locate lunch boxes inside backpacks with Friday's lunches still in them. I sigh again. 8:00 AM and Dub comes, dragging his feet, out of the shower, sits down, pours cereal and reminds me of his field trip today. Oh crap! I totally forgot, rearrange his lunch like a boss and move on. It's 8:06 at this point, kids still eating and I'm trying to rush them, combing their hair as they eat. Mr. Fun kisses us and heads out the door after waking and showering. I shout out the time and remind the boys to take their vitamins, get socks and shoes on. You wouldn't think a kid would forget socks or shoes but you'd be surprised. Also homework and lunch boxes need to be in back packs and teeth need to be brushed. 8:12, I'm emptying the dishwasher and Dub and T can't find their beanies and gloves. Well, there is a place for them to be put when you come inside and if they aren't there you get to freeze. We have 8 minutes as the girl comes out with blinking eyes saying ouch. She poked herself in the eye with her mascara brush.
Teeth are brushed, shoes and socks are on...can't be certain we all have underwear on though. Cereal bowls are placed on counter, a miracle, one extra spoon still on the table. Only one lunch remains on the counter, it's Dub's, I remind him only to get the snotty response of "I know, but I need to find my beanie, sheesh." I love my kids, I do but man I want to slap them when they get snotty. I keep calm and remind him to not talk to me like that, I just don't want them to be late. If they are late, I have to walk them and well, that just isn't happening. It's 8:14 and I realize, coffee...need to make coffee. Too late for the girl to get some before she leaves but I need coffee. Making coffee, yelling at dog to stop barking at the children walking to school, also reminding the girl to clean out the little box while making mental notes of what I need to get done today.....laundry, call city about water bill, figure out dinner, clean desk, vacuum, dust, last night's dishes.... G has snuck out the door with barely a good bye at this point. He's almost 14 and I am realizing 14 may be another age I don't care for.
8:18, I finally find the beanies for the boys, one on my bed, one on the kitchen floor. Of course that means a lint roller is needed for one of them. Gloves, it's a mystery. Oh wait, I saw them on the floor in my room. Yep...just in time, 8:20, I'm zipping up coats and pulling up hoods. One last open of the back door and silence.
Remind myself, one day I will miss this, I will miss hectic mornings. Just like now, I miss them being small...I miss the all day chaos... I do.
177/365

Comments

Marisa said…
When you say beanies...are we talking about winter tuques? LOL

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tuque
MLE said…
Marisa, I think so. I'll get a picture today.
Emily said…
That is an impressive skill you possess.I hope to have my mornings that well oiled when my kids are older.