Capturing every day moments...How I do it!


My dirty little secrets are going to be revealed....here and now. *insert evil laugh*  Okay, they aren't secrets and they aren't dirty. I am going to share anyways.

First and foremost.....Have your camera handy. Keep it where most of the action is. Also, with older kids don't be afraid to yell freeze if something is happening and your camera is on the other room. I admit, I yell freeze a lot and will run to get my camera. They don't always listen but most of the time I still get a shot that I love. With the younger crowd it's better to sneak away and run like lightening, grab your camera, sneak back in and just start shooting until they notice you.


You can't let lack of light stop you. I know we are always looking for that perfect light. Real life isn't perfect so the light doesn't have to be either.
daddy love....it's special...
By converting the photo to black and white you create a timeless moment.
jj and ally 8

Don't tell your kids to look at the camera, capture them as they are. Leave the eye contact for portraits. This makes the photo real and will draw others into the photo.
50-365
51-365

Shoot through the door so they don't even know you are there.
30-365
Sometimes you get caught but hopefully you get the shot before you do.
door2

Don't get close....let the kids have space. Let them naturally fall into place. This is where a long lens comes in handy, they won't pay any attention to you.
kids..
I love my 135 for this reason and why it rarely leaves my camera.
group park 3 blog

Shoot from above, it helps tell the story and capture what is going on.
bakugons
soap2
christmas morning

Take your camera everywhere...you never know when your kids will do something you won't want to forget.
birds
Sibling love can be rare so I want to capture every moment I can.
19-365

Don't delete those soft focused and chopped limbs photos, years later they might be your favorite.
missed
These are what I have always called imperfectly perfect......
balloon 2

Moments don't always have to be happy moments or moments of wonder....Don't be afraid to capture the raw emotion.
wy swim_
2371119515_d797a0b24b_b
caught

Now go get your camera and keep it next to you, you never know what you might see when you turn around..
194987695_bb5e259cb6_b
282903535_d564f00799_b
5-365

Comments

Angela King said…
i LOVE this. i have a bunch of "not happy" pics i was saving up for a blog post. you've inspired me to get it up. your pics are always awesome misti. :)