Wiffle Ball

My boys love playing wiffle ball. I remember many random street games breaking out with neighbors, then we moved. I miss Rockwood, still. Those years are long gone and my kids are much older now. Since moving here I started letting them go to the park down the street ALL.BY.THEMSELVES! Now if you know my parenting style you know this is completely insane. It took me forever to let JJ ride her bike around the block by herself. I am learning though, you have to let go, you have to trust. Plus there are 3 of them, safety in numbers.
I don't really worry about them being kidnapped, not when there is three of them together anyways. I worry about them getting hurt and me not being there. I knew it was bound to happen. Luckily it wasn't anything serious this time.
wiffle ball
G hit a wiffle ball and T tried to catch it with his face. I get a call from G, I hit T in the face with a wiffle ball. I asked for details, where exactly in the face, is it bleeding, etc... Finally I ask if T wants to come home and he does, once they get home and T puts ice on it for a few minutes he's ready to go back. Problem is, his brothers already went back to the park. So what did I do? I let T ride his bike ALL.BY.HIMSELF to the park to meet up with his brothers. I think I've gone insane. I watched him as far as a I could and had G text me when he arrived. All was well and as a parent I feel good that I can let go and let my kids have some of the freedoms I had as a child. P.S. I love how he has circles imprinted on his face from the wiffle ball.

Comments

Angela King said…
awwwww poor babe! i'm totally over strict and over bearing but if we lived in a better place, i think i'd be better about it. definitely helps to have three of them that can go together for sure.
Marisa said…
Wow! Look at you, being all crazy and shit. LOL
Poor T, look at that face. ♥
We have a park literally behind our house and I still have trouble letting them go alone. *shaking my head*
Mommy Unmuted said…
Ouch! That kid has got some serious blue eyes on him.