The stolen Burb Part 2

After returning home with the burb smelling like smoke, the kids investigated the damage and loss of property. T openly upset about his booster seat being gone, tears, screams, flopping on the stairs. He overreacted but at the same time I was angry for him. The locksmith was still working on the locks and we sent our friend home. At 11:30 PM the locksmith gave up and said he'd come back the next day to finish, I was relieved. Mr. Fun and I decided to call it a night, the bed wasn't even warm yet when my cell phone rang. It was Officer K, he was at a house connected to the theft of the burb and he thought he found T's booster. He asked us to come get it but I really didn't want to, it was nearly midnight. He sent Mr. Fun a photo via text and I wasn't positive it was it. We decided to go anyways. The house was too close for comfort and the garage filled with stolen items. We looked around a bit but didn't see anything else that belonged to us. Once we saw the booster we knew it was it. As we were getting ready to leave another officer asked what our last name was again because he found two credit cards that were ours. Both old and expired, my guess is they were at the bottom of the middle console. I was really hoping to find my planner and the clothes.
Knowing our vehicle was parked this close to home for two nights while they cleaned it out, took stickers off and tried to make it unrecognizable to us or anyone that would know it makes me sick to my stomach. Why they straightened the tags but left the license plate on baffles me. I know thieves are stupid but them leaving the license plate on is the only reason we have it back today. So I have to say thank you for being stupid, crooks.
Fast forward eight days. I returned the rental car, walked across the street to Mr. Fun's work. He decided to take me to lunch before I picked up the burb, how sweet is he? After a yummy, not good for me, lunch I was handed the keys to the burb. As I was driving away I was screaming with joy. It was shiny and clean, it felt like mine but cleaner. I forgot how much I loved driving it. I am not a car kind of girl, no matter how sporty. I would rather have a truck any day.
When I picked up the kids from school all four had the same reaction when they saw me. I didn't tell them I would be in the burb at pick up just in case I wasn't. Their excitement thrilled me. They love the burb as much as I do. I feel I am teaching them that if it's not broken, don't fix it. Sure, it would be nice to have a newer vehicle with all the new high tech devices but the burb works just fine for us. We don't need to run out and buy a new vehicle just because.
Now let's talk about insurance. Even though the burb had been paid off for years, since 2007, we kept full coverage. Most people don't and I have to say that is a mistake. I was thankful knowing that no matter the outcome we would be covered. Luckily full coverage wasn't needed. What was needed was lots of little things. All these little things could have been a headache. They could have involved a lot of red tape. There wasn't any headaches or red tape. State Farm wrote us a claims check right there on the spot after they inspected the damage. We have been with State Farm since the beginning of our marriage, almost 17 years and when we needed them they were there. Even at 4 am. I will never stray and now when I write that check every month I won't groan at the amount. (ha, who am I kidding, I don't write checks, does anyone anymore?)
I am happily reunited with my burb and this weekend our family outings won't be in two vehicles.
happy
Life is good....

Comments

Angela King said…
so glad you got it back. i'm so bummed for you losing your planner though. some people are such jerks!