Just what I needed..

I talked to my friend on the phone yesterday for over an hour.  If you know me, pick yourself up off the floor now....I'll wait.

We hadn't talked in months, like almost a year. We had a falling out over one of my Facebook status updates. Yep, good ole stupid Facebook. She sent me a message saying that she was hurt and felt like I didn't want to be her friend, it's a religion thing. I then sent a very to the point message back that I was offended she thought I could be that kind of person. Yesterday, we finally hashed it out and our 18 year friendship is as good as ever. EIGHTEEN years, I must be old.
After hashing it out we talked about our kids, our husbands, jobs, lack of jobs, books, politics, religion, pets and friends.
This is when I realized I haven't had a conversation with anyone other than my family since July 4th....that is  a long ass time. It explains my moods lately, maybe even explains my insomnia. I am bored....yes, I have plenty to keep me busy.  I have 4 kids, laundry, lunches, homework, toilets to clean, floors to mop, dishes, dance, grocery shopping and even back to school night x4. I even signed up to volunteer in T and Wy's classes.  But I am missing my friends, the lunch dates, the shopping, the photo talk and the just hanging out while our kids swim. I was depressed and wondering if I'll ever make friends. Woe is me, right?
Mr. Fun came home from work as I making the kids dinner because they were starving and whining and driving me crazy. I didn't plan dinner, I was secretly hoping for a date night and that is just what I got.
date night

Many margaritas later I realized that I am very lucky to have a best friend that is also my husband.
I am sure I'll find a friend sooner or later and if not, so be it.
So how does a grown woman with 4 school age children meet people? Don't say church, you read the part about it's a religion thing, did you not?

Comments

Unknown said…
I would say check out meetup.com and see if there are any meetups in your area.
Marisa said…
I have lived in the same town for almost 13 years, and have to say that for the most part most of my friends that I hang with now (other than my bestest childhood friend) are other moms that I have met through my children and their school. Volunteering in T and Wy's class is a good start, but unless there are other mothers volunteering at the same time you won't meet any others.
I met a few moms that I hit it off with because I joined the PPO (which I believe is the PTO in the US). I hate all the politics and the high school drama that comes with it, but it enabled me to be more involved at school (volunteering for school functions). Not sure if this is possible for you since you have 4 and they are not all in the same school.

Good luck, Misti. ♥
Angela King said…
look at you blogging everyday!!!!!!!!! so happy for you. :) i'm awful at making friends. just awful. my bff and i had a five year long fight. we call it our vacation. lol.
snaphappy6 said…
my best advice is to jump into volunteering at school, one , two or all of them... you are bound to meet someone you click with....and I agree with Marissa, not just in their classrooms, you need to be on a committee of some sort so you are interactive with the other moms.
I just collected all the PTA info so I can jump in and hopefully make a friend, or 2.
Amber Maddux said…
not sure where ya live but i'll be your friend!!!! email me :)