Black Friday..a retail spouse 's view

These retail stores opening on Thanksgiving....It's asinine BUT so is 3 am openings.

I've been hearing people are going to boycott Black Friday because of stores opening on Thanksgiving and how Thanksgiving is about family. Well, guess what? Your black Friday shopping all the other years took so many away from their families on Thanksgiving already. Who do you think stocked the shelves, wrote the crazy schedule, made all the signs and so on? Oh yeah, people with families. Families that sacrifice their loved ones so you can stand in line with your loved ones at 3am with your Starbucks.
Mr. Fun worked 17 hour days for weeks on end, got up at 10pm on Thanksgiving, yes, that means that he didn't get to spend all of Thanksgiving with us, so you could get your $10 griddle. Boycotting it this year isn't going to change anything, these families have been sacrificing their loved ones for years. This year isn't any different for retail managers. Open or closed, they are still at the stores while you are wrapping up your Thanksgiving. I remember many Thanksgiving where Mr. Fun slept until dinner, ate with us and left shortly after dinner, to make sure items were on the floor.
I am happy that some are finally getting it but sad that it took this long for all of you to understand that your need for a deal on things/stuff took my husband, my kid's daddy, away from us. I get it, I get not having a lot of money for things, I get bargain shopping. I have been there, we've lived off one salary since being married. But time with my family is more important than stuff under our tree.
I was a retail wife for years, did I ever complain about an absent husband or tired daddy because of Black Friday? Nope, never...it paid the bills and put food on the table. I was able to stay home with my kids. I was blessed in may ways. It doesn't mean it didn't suck, it didn't mean he wasn't taken away from us during the holiday.
So you that are boycotting shopping on Thanksgiving...a little too late. Thanks anyways...What we need is 8am door busters....if only more boycotted the 5am, 4am, 3am door busters, it wouldn't have come to this. My kids would have been tucked in by their daddy on Thanksgiving night. I could have enjoyed a nightcap with my husband.... American's greed went too far a long time ago.....you all missed the ball...you should have boycotted the 6am openings years ago.

So, if retail decides to go back to 3am openings next year, think twice about the workers, the moms and dads, that are there on Thanksgiving getting everything ready for you...it may be Friday for you but those workers don't show up at 3am with you nor do they get to go home at 10am and take a nap. They work their ass off for hours on end so you can get your $30 remote control car.
Oh and to think of how many times, after all his hard work, Mr. Fun was treated badly by a shopper because they ran out of the $15 slippers she came to get. That's another thing I don't get, the rudeness of shoppers, the disrespect for those that have been up for 24 hours trying their hardest to make your shopping day better.
So while you're out shopping this year, be aware, be kind, be respectful. Be thankful for all of what you do have and maybe buy less and spend more time with those you love.

Comments

Jennifer Lizza said…
I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you. The greed and need for materialistic things has taken over for so many and it's time to bring it back the other way. I think in the long run it will actually help our economy. People will shop for quality rather than quantity. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I hope there isn't a single cranky shopper that bitches about something as dumb as slippers. I agree with you 100% 8am door busters would be sufficient. We don't need the other nonsense. I have never shopped on Black Friday so I certainly won't be shopping on Thanksgiving. Here's hoping the retail executives get the message loud and clear.
Happy Thanksgiving. Jennifer~Outsmarted Mommy
Unknown said…
If I ever leave my house on a holiday to shop it will only be to buy more tequila....kidding...sorta....I have never got the whole greedy materlistic black friday thing.
Unknown said…
I loved this post... thanks for writing this!! I'm a retail wife as well and had been googling about this because I figured there had to be something out there! Thank you! Well said! It's been a part of our life pretty much ever since we were dating in HS and all through our 6 years of marriage. And it doesn't ever get easier. The news that they'd be opening at 6pm on Thanksgiving this year (and going in at 3 or 4pm, after being there late the night before, as you know too well!) wasn't fun to take. It sucks. Yes it pays the bills and I'm thankful for that, but it's awful and you are absolutely right that people should have stopped years ago and boycotted then. Now it's just out of hand and will only get worse. Thanksgiving has turned into just another day around here, another day where it's me at home alone on my days off while hubby is at work, because my days/time off are often his busy times (I'm a teacher). Thank you for this post. We read it together and were laughing and nodding at the many parts we can relate to.... The customers who get mad they don't have items in stock, the rude and downright mean people, etc. Just wanted to comment and say I enjoyed reading this! :)