AIWS, a different kind of hell.

AIWS-2
It's rare, not many even know what it is. As a parent that has a child that suffers from it, it's sad, frustrating...it's heart breaking. There are no support groups, there are no pamphlets, there is no pediatrician that knows what it is.
Last week was hell, T had an extreme episode last week, more extreme than most. There was puke involved, 3am brought a bloody nose to the party. And not just any bloody nose, his bed looked as if it was a murder scene. By the third shower, it's the only thing that calms him enough to keep the puke at bay, I knew we would be in for a hellish night. We managed to get a few hours sleep that night.
The next night he slept on the living room. After the third call for me in two hours I decided to sleep on the floor with him. Let me stop and say that anyone over forty is not cut out for sleeping on floors, oh my aching body. We managed to get through that night with a few back rubs, some hand holding and a lot of distractions with "remember whens".
I had high hopes for the third night, those hopes were crushed around 1am with a loud mom and some tears. I watched him pace for hours that night. I felt so helpless, he smacked his own head, he clapped his hands, all out of frustration. He wanted sleep as badly as I did. It finally started to fade enough where he could relax a little, we both slept on the floor that morning. I say morning because there was no sleeping that night.
I wish there was more I could do for him, I know what triggers it, I just can't figure out how to prevent it. It's so unpredictable but it does always happen when he's tired or not sleeping well. When he was little just climbing into bed with us would usually help, it doesn't anymore. He is more aware of what is happening and no matter how hard he tries to will it away nothing works. It's a monster that comes and goes as it pleases.
The face of Alice in Wonderland Syndrome....you'd never know.
AIWS-3

It's one of those things you can't fully understand unless you've experienced it, watched your child cry and punch themselves out of frustration. And even then you don't fully understand it. It's silent, it's the reason they are tired in class the next day. It's the reason the parent of a healthy child is cranky and drinking their 3rd cup of coffee at 9am.

AIWS-1

Everyone is fighting their own battles, be kind.

Comments

Mary Titus said…
I don't understand why the ketogenic diet is not encouraged for this issue.
Krista said…
This sounds exactly like Lyme disease. Have you had him tested through igenex?
Anonymous said…
I would look into Neurofeedback. It helps with chronic pain and a lot of other issues. Just google and see if it's something you'd try.
Anonymous said…
I've had these symptoms intermittently since a child. Well, similar ones. A feeling of distortion of my hands, and how I perceive sights and sounds around me. It comes with a fussy feeling in my head. Never really thought much of it as I've always considered it to be a silent migraine, or related to one coming, or jUst past. (I have vague feelings of distortion right now, a kid of disconnect while still connecting as I'm post migraine ). This is really interesting to me..... I'm going to research further. Thankyou! And I hope this poor child can get some resolution.
Anonymous said…
Vitamin k1 really helped my daughter's nose bleeds stop ...not potassium k1..also we had several other necessary diet changes as with a nutritionist we did a hair topical test and started filtering all water...siliva food allergy test caught the sit food allergy wow blood work did Not ...God bless hun keep seeking natural and nutritional fixes real vit E oil heals nose ...sensitivities to soaps and smart meters and routers are real ...phones and tablets all have emfs..limit exposure somehow ...no wheat or soy with a challenged child for any reason if some organics only ...my children healed..took a lot of care and hard choices and extra expense...worth every some...pray over all you do and all you give him
Rebecca said…
So sorry your son suffers from this, I also suffer from migraines, I get all of the different types, and I have had a couple of episodes of AIWS, it was at a time when I was eating a lot of chips late at night that also had onion and garlic flavourings in. I cut these chips out and the AIWS stopped, I can eat plain chips, and I'm ok. It is mainly the fault of the onions as I get awful headaches/migraines if I eat anything with onions. I'd look into an elimination diet for migraines. My top triggers are onions, garlic, sulphites, chocolate, MSG and alcohol. I also avoid processed food and anything with "natural flavourings" in as these are usually made with onions. I also eat gluten free, which helped with more generalised headaches and aches and pains.