Oh Dear Mormon Church...

I was a member for many years. My brother's funeral was held inside a Mormon church. I've been inside many Temples. I know the religion and this is why I feel the need to write about their newest ruling on same sex marriages and the children from these marriages.
I think it's fucked up, simple as that. These children will not be accepted or allowed to join the church until they are eighteen and then, only if they are no longer living with their parents. Why the hell does this make a difference if they are eighteen or eight? They are still the same person with the same parents. What makes the LDS think that these kids are going to want to be a part of a religion that didn't accept them because they had same sex parents. How fucking pompous of them to think someone they rejected for eighteen years is going to want to join their church. Even at eighteen they still have the same parents and values they had at sixteen. Also, these children don't have some infectious disease that magically goes away at eighteen. Their parents will still be same sex parents, these children will still love their parents and support same sex marriages.
When I turned eighteen I made the decision to leave the Mormon religion. I was lost, I still hadn't forgiven God, I was still pissed about my brother's death. I soon decided there was no God, I was so bitter and mad. I thought that there couldn't be a God because I needed my big brother and he allowed him to die. I was taught God was good and loving and answered prayers, that was all a lie to me. I decided to give up on religion for awhile, I allowed myself to not believe in God. It's what I needed at the time, it's what I had to do to heal, to move on.
When it came time for me to forgive God, to believe again I found another religion. I learned so much from these services. Pastor Bruce taught me religion didn't have to be to stiff and serious, or take up three plus hours of my Sunday. He would tell stories about his own life, his own struggles, and relate them to the bible. This is what I needed, this helped me understand that God works in mysterious ways. I always walked away with a satisfied feeling, something I never felt with the LDS services. It could have been that I was older, more mature; or it could be that being a Mormon was never what was supposed to define me. I eventually went on to have kids and we had them all baptized, (except T, that's another post) by the same pastor, on the same stage. I feel so blessed to have found such an accepting, relaxed church. I do believe had I not found this church I'd still hold a lot of anger inside of me. Somewhere in Pastor Bruce's words I found peace, forgiveness, and strength. I am forever thankful for this, thankful for being accepted when I was so angry at God and the world.
I was accepted into this church for no other reason than I was a person. They didn't judge where I came from, they didn't turn their nose up at me because I was raised in a broken home. They didn't care who my parents were or who my parents chose to be with. I can't imagine wanting to be a part of a religion that judges love, a religion that is so pretentious that they reject a child because their parents are of the same sex. I want nothing to do with that type of hate, yes hate. If you can't accept a child into your church for no other reason than their parents happen to be of the same sex, that's hate. If two people of the same sex can get married why can't their children have the freedom to religion, any religion? They should have every right to choose whichever religion they want, but after this ruling I'm pretty sure they wouldn't choose mormonism.
This brings me to the point where I point out that, yes, every religion is allowed to make their own rules. We also don't have to agree with them or like them, every religion has the right to exclude anyone they want. So YAY for the Mormons, excluding children for no other reason than the sex of their parents. Way to go Mormons, way to be loving and accepting of children, you nailed it. To think you could love these kids, teach them acceptance, and possibly help them grow into Heavenly Father loving, respectful, decent adults, but nope. The horror of an innocent child of a same sex marriage being a member of your church, that would cause you all to go straight to hell. Heavenly Father would never forgive you for accepting them and loving them. Of course he wants you to shun them and judge them for something that is out of their control. Oh your Heavenly Father is so loving, I can see that now. Most of these children are adopted, most of these children have been saved from a life in foster care. These children are better off with a stable same sex loving home than they would have been bouncing from house to house with traditional values, or even staying with their biological parents that beat them and forget to feed them. These same sex couples should be respected and appreciated, not excluded. You should be proud to have such awesome, loving, good people as members of your church. These children are not evil, they are innocent. They just want to be loved and accepted...way to screw that one up.


sunrays blog

Comments

*Jess* said…
Inactive member here and I agree with your thoughts 100%. And many of the same reasons I left the church.