To love yourself...

What does loving yourself actually mean? How do you love yourself? They say you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else, I disagree. Can you love yourself and then not love yourself? There are days where I think I'm the bees knees and I do love myself, but there are also days I love nothing about myself. So what does it take to love yourself? Is it self confidence, liking the way your body looks? Is it your attitude, is it how you see the world, or how others see you? I don't know if I'll figure this out, but do I really need to figure it out? Do I need the answers to why and how? I don't think I do, I think I'll keep carrying on, bettering myself from the inside. I'll let myself realize that I do matter, when I can. I'll put myself first when needed and find my passion with photography and writing again.

Untitled

I wrote myself a letter, a letter I never planned on sharing. I wrote it so I could read it when I needed to remind myself to love myself. I've decided to share it because that's what I used to do. I used to share a lot of myself....that was when I was truly happy with every aspect of my life. I want to be that happy again, put myself first from time to time, and not give a fuck.....

Dear You,
You were not put on this earth for unconditional love, that is where you've had it all wrong your whole life. You are here to learn personal love, messy love, sad love, happy love, crazy love, mad love. You are here to live, that means having your heart broken. Your heart is meant to break, this is so you can glue it back together yourself, nobody else can. You must learn to heal your own heart, you can't rely on someone else to do it, this isn't a fucking fairytale, it's your reality. You are here to stumble and get back up. You are here to master messing up with dignity, often; you are going to do it anyways, might as well be with dignity. You are not here to be perfect, you are human and beautifully flawed. You still deserve love filled with aspirations, ambition, desire, and dreams.
So my friend, get out there! Go kick some ass, prove to those that doubt you that you are talented and smart. Show them the beautiful chaos within your soul. Don't be afraid to be wild and crazy, never doubt your self worth. Be who your heart tells you to be, not what society thinks you should be. You are more than a mother, you are more than a wife, or a friend, or a daughter. You are you and you deserve to shine as bright as the passion inside of you.

Love and cherish yourself, every day. Even on the bad, no good, horrible, fucked up days, love yourself. Forgive yourself when you've messed up so badly you think you've ruined everything you've ever believed in. Forgive yourself enough to be okay with not feeling guilty when every morsel inside of you is screaming at you to feel guilt. It's okay to put yourself first, make yourself a god damn mother fucking priority. If you can't do this, who will?
Love yourself when you're so broken that nothing feels right. Let yourself cry in the shower until the water turns cold. Scream and cry, be mad, be hurt, get angry! In the end, always forgive yourself and those around you.
Forgive those that have walked away when you really needed them to stay, it made you stronger. Forgive those that hurt you, look deep within yourself, allow your thoughts to be heavy. Let the tears roll down your cheeks as you sob and clench your chest, let the hurt out. Once you do, it's easier to love yourself.
Love yourself, forgive yourself......because nobody else has to.



Sincerely,
Yourself....

Comments

Emily said…
Allow your thoughts to be heavy.
I really needed to read that, I'm always trying to be light and positive.
Paula said…
Beautiful words and welcome back.
Anonymous said…
Everyone should love and forgive themselves. And everyone should read this letter, it's a good one.