I'm trying...I've tried...I don't want to try any longer....

one tree

It's been two and a half years since we packed up our house in a moving truck and said goodbye to city life. We traded in day trips to San Francisco to nights around a bonfire. We traded traffic jams for slow tractors....We went from living in a city where we didn't know many to a small town where we quickly knew everyone. It hasn't been all bad but it isn't all I imagined it would be. I suppose no adventure ever is.

I have gone through phases of I love it here, It's okay here, I hate it here..... I can't say I have been truly happy since moving here. The last time I remember being completely content with my life was when we moved from Phoenix to Modesto. That move felt right, I hate that it didn't work out the way I thought it would. We lived in Modesto a short nine months and although it didn't feel like home, it felt more like home than this town has in two and half years.

This last weekend I had the privilege of being surrounded by great people in Henderson. When I am there I feel at home, it's hard to explain. Home to me will always be Phoenix, that is home to me, Phoenix is where my heart is. Henderson is a close second, so many great friends that I've known for 20 plus years. Friends that I go years without talking to but when we see each other it's like we were never apart. Those are the true friendships I miss.

I have wanted to sit down with Mr. Fun and write out a pro/con list for staying here. We haven't yet done that because his head is set on staying here. No matter what I say, how I plead, he isn't budging. He wants to stay here for the long run. I want to be closer to my family, the girl and I want my city life back. I've been living this small town life for long enough, I've given it my best shot. I've even lied to myself and convinced myself I liked it here, I don't, never did. I do love the people, I do love the fire family....that is where it ends.

Things I miss, things I want.... the list is long but here goes......
A+ schools...I miss our Phoenix schools so much.
I miss MLB games and NHL games. I miss watching it live, in the stadium.
The heat, I miss the heat so much. I miss wearing flip flops year round and never having to wear more than a light jacket.
Having more than one store of each. Say a Target is out of an item, no calling another Target to see if they have it and can hold it for you. There is only one Target, one Costco, one Sports Authority, one Kohl's..... you get the idea...I miss having options.
Two story/three story malls to window shop or hit great clearance at....we have one mall and it's only one story, even the department stores. Which don't include a Macy's or a Nordstroms....
I miss take out, good chinese, yummy mexican, or even a variety of pizza for delivery.
I want my mom to be able to jump in her car and visit for a weekend without it being a huge todo! Or for us to hop in the car ad visit the beach or Vegas without much planning.
I want to be able to buy decently priced alcohol on a Sunday and at the grocery store. These overpriced liquor stores that are closed on Sunday are for the birds.
Year round baseball for my boys, this playing baseball 2 months a year against the same 4 teams is so pointless and stupid.
Decent priced produce, you'd think it'd be cheap here but it's not.
I would love to grow my business again, that will not happen here...everyone that lives here agrees. It's such a small town with so many other photographers that have lived here their whole life.
Riding the motorcycle year round, goodness I miss it. I feel like we have to ride every day now because in a month it'll be too cold. I miss having more than North and South to choose from, I miss East and West.
To be able to see my daughter more than 2-3 times a year. For her to be able to hop in her car and drive to see us for a weekend, that would rock.
Guaranteed income, this is my biggest stress factor and the worst thing about living here....our jobs are seasonal, like so many that live here, no guarantee of any kind. Who the fuck wants to live like that? Not this girl.
Going to bed and being comfortable, not cold because it's 20 degrees outside and not ass hot because it's 90 degrees inside and outside.
If I never had to wear snow boots, a hat, scarf, and gloves at the same time I would be the happiest girl in the world.
I'm still not used to the sun setting so late, I really don't like it. Certain times it's cool but when you're trying to get kids asleep for a new school year, it just sucks. It also sucks for photo sessions.
On the flip side, I don't like the sun setting at 4pm in the winter, it's so depressing and cruel.
Concerts, we used to go to 4-6 concerts a year, we've been to one outdoor concert since moving here.
My tricycle racing crew, my sit in the backyard after school and drink a glass of wine friends.
I miss second shooting weddings...
The smooth running paths where nothing chased me.
I've missed fun parks within walking distance with smooth sand.
I miss going to the gym, miss meeting friends there and kicking butt together. Then destroying it all with Starbucks.
I miss the magic light, the golden light that pools around your head at sunset.
I basically miss everything about living in the city, even the traffic, the noise and the lights.



Now the things I like about living here and would miss if we were to move away..
The friends we've made...
The scenery though I find the desert mountains way more breath taking than anything here.
I would miss Creamery weekend but would I? We could always come back to visit that weekend.
Being able to walk home from the bar....
Knowing the town cop, now that is an awesome perk.

I am not a country girl....I am I city girl. I hate the cold, love warm sunshine... and no matter how hard I try to change that I can't. I have tried...I've been positive, it's not helping.

I miss this too much....
ride2
ride3



Comments

*Jess* said…
hugs to you. I hope you guys eventually can find a compromise about moving!