Do you drink in front of your kids?


I watched this and I immediately got defensive. I do drink in front of my kids. Occasionally at a party I get slightly drunk in front of my kids. There was a night I got so drunk I demanded my oldest find the blue paint I bought for a shelf so I could paint a wall. Now we have a pretty blue wall to look at and a pretty darn funny memory.
Have I ever thought I scared my kids while drinking, UMMM NO!! If I did I wouldn't do it. So I texted the girl and asked her what she thought of the video. She texted back with "that was the stupidest thing I've ever watched". This eased my mind a bit so I called G and Dub in, to watch the video. Dub said "that was stupid" and walked away. G added "I think the kids are drinking if that's what they see" as he shakes his head. T wasn't home so I couldn't ask him and now he's getting ready for bed and I don't think he should watch it. So anyways....I am thinking the title and the ending is over the top. There is a difference between having a drink, drinking, getting drunk and being an alcoholic.
Maybe this should have been marketed towards parents with a drinking problem, the parents that get drunk and don't remember why their kids' have bruises on their faces the next morning. Maybe play it for someone in rehab, I don't really know. This campaign left an icky taste in my mouth, it's done for shock value and I'm not a fan of shock or fear.... Not at a fan at all. It almost made me feel guilty for drinking in front of my kids, but why should I feel guilty for letting loose with my friends? I shouldn't.


Comments

MFP said…
Meh..... Was not impressed with the video. The spawn may see his dad that way because he has a drinking problem, but from he has told me he just thinks he is stupid for drinking like he does. I drink in front of him upon occasion and he tends to just laugh at me because I get silly. He used to love when I was taking Ambien to sleep because he said I was a hoot.
*Jess* said…
We totally drink in front of our kids and try to model responsibility. We don't drink and drive, one of us is always the designated driver when we are out. We typically drink with our neighbors or at social gatherings at our house. Our kids saw my husband take too many shots of tequila (at his 40th birthday party) and get sick the next day. We made a lesson out of it.