First Day of School 2014

first day 2014-1 copy
It went so much smoother than I expected. It actually went the best it has ever gone. See, this year there were no tears. Not even from me, I thought there might be some tears from one or two of my kids but nope, none! I'm kind of sad that they are all so grown and mature that they really didn't need me at all this morning. Yet, I am so happy and proud that they are emotionally and mentally mature enough to take that first day in stride. I did get the phone call from the school nurse quicker than ever before. They were at school all of two hours when my phone rang. I answered thinking one of my kids were upset or needed something. It was just the nurse asking me where my kids vaccine records were and explained Dub needed the DTap booster or he couldn't attend school. I asked if she still had my exempt forms on file, she did but said they were encouraging all parents to get all required vaccines. I explained that DTap was one vaccine my kids do not have nor would they ever get it. And could you imagine if I went and injected my kids with all the vaccines they haven't received in one afternoon to please the state? I can't. So I was told that I needed another exempt form notarized for this school year. Those notarized forms are now in their backpacks.

The high schooler left this morning without even saying goodbye. Knowing he had to change his schedule he left early to see his counselor. I asked him if he wanted me to go with him and he rolled his eyes before answering with a "noooo". I thought "but the girl always wanted me to go with her". Turns out he didn't need me at all and successfully fixed his schedule;on top of having a great first day.

I left the middle schooler at the cafeteria door with friends. I was worried about him because I had no idea what his schedule looked like and it was his first day of being in middle school. Turns out his schedule is good, other than getting weights as PE, which he didn't want. I asked how it was changing classes and he said fine. I worry though, his organization is a lot like mine.

I walked T into his class, met his teacher and he walked into the classroom without a hug. Yes, I called him back to hug me.

first day 2014 A

After school we did our tradition of ice cream cones and a short walk through the refuge. It was weird, the girl wasn't with us. It made me realize how quickly time is flying by me. I only have three more first days of school with G. I never really thought about it as the girl passed through high school but now that she is in college I am left with lots of thoughts. Thoughts of how quickly time passes, what's four years when you have an eighteen year old in college. What's six years (when Dub graduates) when you've been married 18 years. I know time goes by quickly but it seems to be speeding up as these kids grow.
first day 2014 C

If anyone knows a secret to slowing time down, will you please share?

Comments