I don't want summer to end.

I am seeing all these back to school photos and post on blogs and I am sad. Back to school this year is going to be so different than any other. I only have three kids going back to school, well, only three I am going to be responsible for. Youngest heads to the middle school building with the big kids for 4th grade. Middle man is headed to middle school, G is going to be a freshman in high school. Then the girl will be starting her freshman year of college many miles away. It's going to be different around here. There will be routine, there will be school functions and sports but it's going to be different.
All these back to school photos keep reminding of this. We still have 3 weeks before school starts and other than college supplies we are not prepared. Then I'm reminded that I never took photos of the 4 kids together this summer and with two boys in California until after the girl is gone means I will never get that last photo I had envisioned in my head. It really is a sad thing and if I stop and think about it for too long I cry. Not just tears trickling from my eyes, a big heavy sobbing cry, the ugly cry where you try to talk and the sobs stop you. You may think I'm crazy but goodness, this is harder than I thought it would. I am so excited for the girl, she gets to go back home, to the city, to the heat, away from snow, but I'm going to miss her.
The last photo I have of all them together is during a crazy snow storm, yes, I made them brave it for the fact that it was our first real winter, ever.
storm-1

I am so glad I did because I love these photos. It was cold and the glare of the sun off the snow hurt our eyes but it was so worth it. And the next time they will all be together will be December, hopefully there will be snow on the ground and we can start a tradition of yearly photos in the snow.
snow jump

Back to school is going to be bitter sweet for me this year. I'll let you know how I survive it.

Comments

*Jess* said…
those are awesome pictures! And I am not ready for Summer to end, either!
snaphappy6 said…
Oh Misti, I can relate. So bittersweet. Andrew leaves next week for college. My other have already started... it's still strange only making 3 lunches.... sigh. Can't we just slow down the clock, even for a little bit????
Anonymous said…
Has the girl headed off to college yet? Just checking in and seeing how you are holding up? Love reading your blog and waiting (eagerly) for another post.