Small Town Senior Night..

We received an invitation to Senior Night at the high school. I really had no idea what it was about. It was to be held before the varsity basketball game. Upon arrival all these parents had flowers and balloons for their seniors. I was all confused and then they called all senior parents to the lobby, more confusion set in. Then they lined us up with our seniors in alphabetical order.
As we were standing there Mr. Fun and I asked a lot of questions, the girl didn't have a lot of answers. I apologized for not having any balloons or flowers for her. I loved her answer, "I really don't care, the balloons will deflate and flowers die.", she sure is my daughter. She was happy with us just being there, and thankful her daddy skipped training to be there for her. That was enough for her. That also made me extremely proud and happy.
We were standing in line and they called up the first senior and her parents, read something, at this point I wasn't paying much attention. As we got closer to our turn, I saw that the seniors and parents were walking out on the court and they were reading off things about the senior and advice that senior has for future seniors. It was really neat! Then I looked at what I was wearing and had I known I would be in front of all these people, them watching us, I would have wore cuter boots, done my hair and taken off my coat and left it on the bleachers. But oh well, it wasn't about me, it was about the girl.
The girl and her parents were called onto the court by our full names and what I heard next brought a little tear to my eye. Her advice for future seniors is Don't practice it until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong. That's my girl, she's pretty awesome.
The Girl!
I hope all her dreams come true.

JJ senior 2-1
So now I know what Senior Night is all about so if my boys are ever on a school team, I know what to expect. I still won't bring them balloons or flowers, however. It was so weird, yet awesome. I'm still adjusting to this small town way of life, it sure is different.

Comments

Julann said…
What a beautiful picture!
jody said…
Absouletly AWESOME pic of your girl. Beautiful.