Selcouth

This is the perfect word to describe snow for me.
snow -1
I am sure by next winter it will be normal but this year, it's strange. Very pretty but very strange.
Before moving here the last time I drove in snow was 1995, I was 20 years old. I hated it then and I hate it now. I moved away from it because the cold made me unhappy. I was (unhappily) engaged then, no kids, no job and one friend. Now I've been happily married for eighteen years next month, four kids, lots of friends and my photography. See, this means I can't go running back to my warm, sunny and happy place. It's not just about me anymore, it's about us. This is when I focus on the positive of our situation and push the what ifs and whys out of my brain. No room for that negative.
snow jump
I have bad days, days where I go nowhere, I don't get dressed, feel unworthy and I think I'm depressed and need help. Then I have days like this one, Days where my friend loads her kids up, picks us up so we can head to the playground in the snow. All for the sake of photos.
Photos of our kids together, making memories. Yes, I would rather these photos were on the beach with bare-feet and shorts but you take what you have and make the best of it.
snow!!1
snow!!2
This is when I realize I am blessed....
snow -3
Blessed with four healthy children, a wonderful husband and awesome friends. If that means suffering through cold winters and grey days, I'll deal with it. I'll drink coffee and wine, I'll get chubby from the comfort food. I'll watch sappy romantic comedies and bake delicious muffins to get me through it. It'll get me through until I can feel the warm sunshine again.

Comments

AiringMyLaundry said…
Sweet post :) Cute pictures.

I'll take a muffin and watch a romantic comedy with you!
jody said…
Gorgeous pictures!! Hang in there. Get cozy, bake and work through the season. Is there anyplace to ski near you? I highly recommend being active no matter what. Snowboarding would be like surfing the snow my friend!! Get it!
Emily said…
I love the pop of color against the snow, so beautiful. I understand the hate of winter. I hate on it every year but I'm still living in the frozen tundra.
Mary said…
These photos are so fun. What a great way to spend an afternoon. I would much rather be on the beach with sand between my toes too.
Lil Muse Lily said…
hi. found you through Jess at irocksowhat. what great snow pictures and what a great attitude that so many blessed ones should have. i will try to remember it when i have to get through yet another miami summer. cheers!