Why I let my kids skip school

Not that I feel the need to explain or feel guilty about it. Nor do I feel like a bad mom, the opposite actually.

My alarm went off, I hit the snooze. It went off again, I hit snooze again. Some minutes later Mr. Fun asked the time, I grunted out that I didn't know. My alarm went off again, this time I turned it off, rolled over and fell back to sleep. Mr. Fun nudges me and announces it's eight o'clock. As he climbs out of bed to shower and finally shave and trim his hunting beard(more on that in another post). He asks if I am going to wake the kids, I wasn't. I let them sleep. I got up and started making pancakes, all the while my kids still in their beds getting a little extra sleep.
G was the first to wake, peeking his head out, staring at me for a few seconds. Then he says, let's not go to school and quickly disappears back in his room. The girl was next, she just hugged me and said thank you. We talked about how we couldn't believe that the little boys were still asleep. Then it happened, their door opened and T asked what was going on and why it was eight thirty and why hadn't I woke them up yet. I tried to pull off that it was Saturday but they didn't fall for it. Dub said he checked his kindle and knew it was Wednesday. They had also woken up before coming out to the kitchen, Dub begged T not to get out of bed. He knew that if I hadn't woke them up chances were that they were going to get to stay home. After talking about going in late verses staying home, I decided to let them stay home. This is when T remembered he only got up because he really had to pee and he ran down the hall holding himself. This made Dub giggle and the mood for our day was off to a great start.
I finished the pancakes and the kids eagerly fixed their plates. All I was hearing was laughter and joyful interactions between siblings. It was like angels singing down on me. They were so happy to get an extra day of rest and play that they were actually being nice to each other. As I sipped on my coffee I listened to them talk. The things you hear from your kids when they are engaged with each other is amazing. From school to the weather to the advent house to decorating the tree. It was so sweet to stand back and just listen. I need to remember to do it more often.
I decided a trip to the city was a must. We needed some things and didn't want the kids just sitting in the house playing video games. Surprisingly I didn't get any whining or anyone proclaiming it was too far or that it was too boring of a ride. It was seriously a miracle of a day. We hit Costco, where I had to get a few things and hoped to get G's glasses fixed. It was too busy and we were hungry so there was no fixing of the glasses and my poor blind boy still doesn't have his glasses fixed. This is where we pause to relish in what a bad mom I am.
day off-1
day off-2
We ate lunch at Costco, where else can you feed five people for $7.50? Not even Taco Bell anymore, I don't think. After lunch it was off to Target, we didn't even really buy anything but it was fun. So fun that I was dragging the kids out of there. It's usually them begging to leave, on this day I said let's go at least five times before we actually left.
This is when they tried to get me to let them buy big bags of candy with their own money. Wasn't happening.
day off-8
day off-6
day off-9

Why don't they make this for older kids? We would have so much fun with it if our butts actually fit comfortably.
day off-3
day off-4

I really wish books didn't cost as much as they do. My boys love to read and saw about 3 books each that they wanted.
day off-11
day off-10
day off2-1

This boy, he's getting way too old....he's officially taller than me and borrowing clothes from Mr. Fun. I'm lucky enough that he isn't too old to be silly and hang with his parents.
day off-7
day off-5
That's my no regret day off of this year.

Comments

Mary said…
I don't, I think it sets a bad example for them. Teaches them it's okay to skip out on their responsibilities. Maybe you're taking this fun thing too far.
AiringMyLaundry said…
I love Target! Eh, you're the parent, you can decide when you want your kids to go to school. They can get a break now and again. That above note was a little harsh.
snaphappy6 said…
I am all for a mental health day...esp since my kids are never absent --haven't missed a day this year and our semester wraps up at Christmas break. Mine may or may not take one, this year, up to them...but I am ok with it. Adults get personal days why can't kids take one every now and again. Good for you for enjoying the day with your kids :)
Julann said…
I let my kids play hooky all the time! I think it does good for the mind and soul. We did it yesterday, called in sick and went to Disneyland all day. Kids need a break also and I think quality family time goes a lot farther than anything!
Unknown said…
I learned as much in a day with my mom as I ever learned in a day at school. Hard work fills the fridge, sacrifice for your family, follow your heart, especially these days when schools are so focused on attendance pays the bills and passing a state test to improve income rather than using our tax money to support education instead of corporation