Taking Control..

As I write this I am exhausted. Between a sick kid, holiday cheer and my insomnia little sleep happening for me. The boys are all in the man cave playing video games and watching a movie. The girl is packing and checking her list twice and Mr. Fun is snoozing on the couch. Sure I could go to bed now but why? I wouldn't sleep. So I am trying to write, my words are jumbled and mixed up. I know what I want to say, I don't know how to say it. Maybe my mind is tired, maybe I'm too frustrated. I already wrote about Christmas but I want to write more....
We were invited to friends for dinner, I was glad to go and happily made a green bean casserole. A casserole I have never made before because I personally don't like it and none of my kids like it. I was surprised at how easy it was to make, surprised to find out Mr. Fun doesn't like it either. Even more surprised that my family were the only people that didn't eat it. I am assuming that it was good because there wasn't much left over and as I scraped the plates nobody left any on their plate. I think I'll volunteer to make it more often for big groups, it was so easy.
After tonight I realized why I loved living in Arizona, Christmas was spent at home, we never went anywhere. My kids played with their toys all day, it was relaxed, dinner was easy and best of all...I didn't have to get dressed if I didn't want to. Going over to friends reminded me of San Diego Christmases, my kids watching everyone else open presents while all their new things were left at home. So this is me declaring our Christmases will be spent at home from now on. My kids come first and I know that they were bored and tired of watching people open presents. They never complained about it. However, Dub did ask to go home a few thousand times and G fell asleep before dinner. I know they would have rather been home watching movies, playing with their new hockey sticks and video games. They actually should have been home doing just that, next year they will be. Not that I don't enjoy seeing friends and family during the holidays, I love it. It's just that my kids come first and so no more going anywhere for most of the day. Christmas is about them and they wanted to be home.
This is me taking control of our holiday again and when invited anywhere next year for Christmas, I will politely decline.
So we can enjoy more of each other and I can get more photos of this....

xmas4-2xmas4-1

Comments

Mary said…
Good for you. I agree it's about the kids and not fun to watch people open present after present when you aren't opening close to the same amount. pointless to be there until they finish opening their gifts.
benbidder said…
We made that exact same decision years ago. We figure if people want to come over to our house to visit, that's fine, but we won't go anywhere. Easier now that we don't have anywhere to go here, but in AZ it seemed like everyone wanted us to visit them and we just didn't want to leave...lol. Good for you for making that call for next year! :)
Mel said…
we made this decision years ago.. it is what has been best for our family.. my kids hated leaving their toys behind to go anywhere and when we had company at our house it just ended up making their kids unhappy to leave their stuff at home.. we make christmas about our family.. only grandparents come over for christmas.
Laura said…
Good for you.
Sue said…
I totally get this. Kids want to be home onChristmas. The adults have fun but if there's nothing for them to do it's not fair to them. So as parents we sacrifice for them, that's what Christmas is about. Like Kenny chesney would say ;)
Unknown said…
I love this. We spend the first half of our holidays like this, if not all. We all enjoy our time and one another so much more, sans distractions!
Mary Ann said…
I love this and agree. Kids deserve to be home all day on Christmas with their stuff. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for any reason either. Just politely decline.
Naomi said…
Yes Yes Yes! If invited to a house that has nothing for my kids to do I either decline or show up right before dinner and leave right after clean up. Kids shouldn't have to sit and watch others open presents, especially if not blood related. Next year, keep them home and let them enjoy each other.