Another First..

Last night was a first for both Mr. Fun and I. I wish I had taken my camera once we got started, my phone had to do.
We processed our own meat. That is right, the deer my husband killed, his first, was processed by Mr. Fun and friends. Yes, I made the photos black and white, for my own sake. I am getting better with raw meat but baby steps...baby steps.
45-365deer-2
This is where I have to stop and say that since moving here we have met some really awesome people. Mr. Fun worked with Ben over the summer and now we have become great friends with him and his wife. Crystal's (ben's wife) parents were kind enough to let Mr. Fun hang his deer on their property and then went further and supplied us with everything we needed to process it. Thanks to their kind ways we now have a freezer full of meat. I can't thank them enough.
deer-3
Crystal started it off as Mr. Fun watched and learned. Then it was his turn.
deer-5deer-4
Notice I wasn't in any photos, I was the only one without raw meat all over my hands! I didn't stand and watch the whole time, I did help wrap it up and label it. But mostly I did this because it was that degree outside. Yes, only 1 degree when we left their house.
deer-7deer-8
Yes, it's blurry because I was cold.

Things I learned about processing dear meat.
1~The meat should be really cold, if it get's warm it turns to paste while grinding it.
2~You have to add fat to it because deer is so lean, also another meat. We chose pork.
3~It's not as hard as you would think it is, it's actually fun.
4~After seasoning, cook a little up before sending it through the grinder a second time to make sure you like it. We added more garlic to the garlic mixture. Also realized that the hot beer mix would have to be mixed with the plain if the kids are going to be eating it. It's spicy.
5~There is no lack of sexual jokes while processing meat....but this is a PG blog so I won't be sharing.
I am so proud of Mr. Fun, for many reasons. He sets his mind to something and he gets it done, providing in may ways for his family.
Just some of the meat stacked front to back.
deer2-1
I think we need to invest in a deep freezer.
deer2-2

Now onto cooking with deer meat, it's an adventure.

Comments

Marisa said…
I laugh-snorted at your blurry pic of the temperature. You need to invest in some gloves like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MAGIC-TOUCH-SCREEN-WINTER-GLOVES-ONE-SIZE-FOR-SMART-PHONE-TABLET-TEXTING-/261336735802)

It's so fun to see you guys doing all these new things! Love the pics, looks alot like when my parents make their Italian sausage (we test the meat as well to see if they spiciness is just right). ;)
Emily said…
Wow! You two are really on an adventure. I hope you share when you start cooking that yummy deer up.
AiringMyLaundry said…
I have never tried deer meat but I'd like to!