As my kids grow...

I used to get asked if all four were mine, all the time. Yes, they are.... all four of them. Then I used to get the do they all have the same dad question...  Why I don't know, look at them...do they all look alike? Like EXACTLY the fuck alike?  I'm going to go with yes. Yes, they all share the same DNA. I didn't sleep with a different guy every two years to produce them.......Thanks for asking, asshole. As they grow, I hear less asinine questions, I just get more stares. They are like my little ducklings still. They still follow in a single file line, sometimes they lead, actually.....someone stop them from growing up, please.
The yellow wall

I know four kids is a lot.....yet people have more so what am I to complain about?  Yet, four kids is over the average. I get that some people don't get it, trust me, I don't get it either. It can be overwhelming most of the time.  Most days I fall to my knees hugging the vodka bottle thanking the vodka gods.... okay not really, well, in my head I do.

Honestly, I wouldn't trade it, for anything. Even though you get duped into having kids, only warned about the early years. So we all think, what's a few years of feedings, diaper changes and tantrums? Well, the tantrums carry well into the teen years.
bench kids canvas2

NOBODY warns you about the homework(homework is a bitch and I loathe teachers for giving so much, sorry teachers), the attitudes, the school projects, the dating, the sports, the schedules, the homework, the attitudes...the hormones, the smelly feet, the amount of food teenagers eat...Oh and waking a pre-teen or teenagers, we all deserve a medal for that shiz. It's like waking a bear mid hibernation.

Nobody tells you that sweet delicious smelling baby is going to grow into an opinionated adolescent that isn't going to always like you. I swear if anyone warned anyone about this mankind wouldn't exist, we'd be wiped out by mouthy teenagers. Oh wait, teenagers are also horny, well played universe, well played.
1
In all seriousness though.....you'll never sleep again. You may get longer stretches of sleep but you still worry. You lay awake worrying if the punishment was fair, you worry you may have overreacted. You just continue to worry.... The infant, toddler, preschool ages that everyone warns you about is the easy part. It's when they start to do things independently when the hard part kicks in. It's when they have to be responsible for themselves, it's when you have to make sure they are responsible for themselves is when it gets hard. I mean, you are responsible for molding them into decent, responsible adults. I'll take teething, up all night breastfeeding, potty training over this responsibility of raising independent adults anytime. I just hope I don't screw it up.....please let them all move out but still want to visit often.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is pure awesome. Perfection. I love it!
Angela King said…
please let them all move out but still want to visit often. LOVE. fingers crossed for you. and for me! :)
Farm Girl in MD said…
I am one of four kids and I LOVE it!! So much I want 4 kids of my own. Now to see if my husband would go for that, lol.