What would you buy?

This weekend we went to the mall to pick a child off the Angel tree. It was heart breaking. These kids were asking for warm clothes, shoes and gloves. It broke my heart, I even got all teary eyed. I wish there was more I could do. I wish I could buy them all a coat and gloves. More so I wish I could buy all those little kids a bike and helmet they wanted.
We ended up with three kids, a set of boy twins and a seventeen year old girl. I wish I could buy them everything on their list, I can't. So...how do I choose which items to buy them? I am so conflicted. It's been years since we were able to do this and it feels good but at the same time I want to do more. Every kid deserves warm clothes and a bike. Every kid deserves love and affection.....
I do think this opened our kids' eyes to how blessed they really are. My kids are not spoiled but they have what they need and a lot of what they want. I do feel blessed because each of my kids can only think of a few things that they want for Christmas. I feel lucky that they aren't greedy and willing to give instead of receive.
I am writing this because I want to know what you would do. Would you buy the bike and helmet or the coat and pants? Or buy a movie with a coat?


T

And if you know of a place to get a bike on the cheap, please share. We aren't allowed to buy used anything, even if in perfect condition.
Thank you!

Comments

Julann said…
What is your budget? How about a Big Lots or Pic N Save, sometimes you can get great deals there and they are new.
Marisa said…
I would do one necessity and one special gift/toy.
Am no help with where to buy because I am Canadian. LOL
Mel said…
It is so heartbreaking and eye opening.. isn't it..Watch the sales hun.. there are a lot of good deals online right now... amazon comes to mind. Check Ross and tj max (or the like) for helmets and coats. I saw helmets at Ross for $5 and they came with knee pads.. I would do one need.. and one want.. unless you are able to pick up more for less.
kate94651 said…
There are places that provide clothes and coats...and, in my humble opinion, Christmas should be about wishes, not practicalities...so I would buy the bike. :o)
schlep said…
D and I haven't bought eachother a birthday or Christmas present in over 10 years because we faithfully adopt a family every Christmas. We can go without for a day so that we can bring joy to others. I'm proud of you guys.
Anonymous said…
buy them both and I'll pay for one. Let me know and I'll deposit the money in your bank account. Grandma Roxie
Angela King said…
awwwwwwwww grandma roxie....love it! i'd say the bike. there are lots of places out there where the parents could get coats that have been donated. it's easier to get things that are necessary than wanted. does that make sense?

and yay for you guys for doing this! it's totally awesome.